View Single Post
Old 09-03-10, 06:04 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
More detail:

It is a refurbished Downtube 8H, front suspension, sturmey archer 8 speed.

Let's just say that I got it for not much more than a sturmey archer 8 speed hub and shifters alone would cost.

Got it all assembled, tires pumped, etc.

I like it! It gets moving pretty quickly. Yes, it's noticably slower than my cyclocross bike...and I'd say that with just me on it, it feels like my fantom cx does when it has a substantial load, but for city riding speed really isn't important anyways.

I'm seriously considering using this as a winter bike, esp with the IGH hub, and some niceties like folding pedals, which I found were pretty solid, and useful for when you're walking around and don't want the pedal to hit your leg.

Speaking of the IGH, it does take some getting used to, esp not pedaling into shifts. But, it moves gears pretty quickly and painlessly, and it has a good range of speeds. It gave me the most problems around 5, but when an IGH slips, you're simply put into 1st gear until the clutch or whatever activates. All in all, I'd say that while it doesn't shift as well as a clean cassette system, it shifts better than a dirty cassette system.

It does have a "grinding" effect on some gears, which is sorta like a bad bottom bracket, but really it's not something I'd notice on a daily basis unless I were depressed or something.

I think I know why it was returned, the front shock I couldn't adjust, but again, no big deal. The front shock has a pretty good range of travel too, making it somewhat useful for jumping curbs (I've gotten my share of flat tires from curb jumping).

But yeah! this is a fantastic second bike and/or city/utility bike. Highly recommended.