View Single Post
Old 09-04-10, 06:02 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Runaway Cyclist
If I could I would buy a Park Tool stand no questions asked. Unfortunately, that is a way expensive stand for my budget. ETA: If I had to pay the price of the product only, it would be OK; adding shipping and taxes the cost of buying it becomes prohibitive.

I don't intend to build wheels, just do a little wheel truing and the occasional broken spoke replacement. For your information, I have a 26" urban bike and a 20" folding bike. ETA: I'm a beginner when it comes to wheel truing. I barely know what to do. I'll start by reading Sheldon's directions.

Which one of the following stands would you choose, regardless of price, and why?

1) Super-B, ± US$212

2) LIFU, ± US$122

3) No-name stand (Sunlite?), US$111,22 (including shipping)

ETA: prices of the first two are not in dollars on the sites, so I added the approximately prices in dollar (shipping not included). Yes, bike products are expensive here in Brazil.

I'm looking for a wheel truing stand that costs no more than US$50 (not including shipping). I'm not in the USA, so the seller must ship to Brazil and accept PayPal. I appreciate any suggestions.
The E-bay stand isn't a bad stand. I built many wheels with a Minoura stand just like that one. It works and gets the job done.

Originally Posted by reptilezs
just use your frame and a zip tie. at that price it is not worth it
While this method or the brake pads method works, it does get old fast, especially if you want to build more than a few wheels. It's not all that easy to turn the bike upside down and find a comfortable way to get the proper sightlines. A truing stand can be set on a table or bench so that it's at a comfortable height to work at.

Building your own is another option but that assumes that you have access to the tools to build the stand. If you don't and you don't have the materials at hand, you could spend more money on trying to build one than just buying one.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!