View Single Post
Old 09-06-10, 08:27 AM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The problem with classified advertising is it does not give the seller any initiative. That is lost the moment he or she mentions price. So sellers are forced to use hyperbole to justify their position, and risk running off potential buyers.
So, when a seller lists every design item on a bike, and uses descriptors like "Limited," "spe'ecd well," "super condition!!!" "barely ridden," and comments like... "You would be hard pressed to find this bike in this condition for this price..." well, I usually yawn and rush to look at the next listing.
Im fairly sure at this point that the seller is not keen to sell as much as recoup what he thinks he has "invested" in the thing. His @ss is probably smarting from the pot of gold he believes he is sitting on and he seems not to know the difference between assets and liabilities.

In fairness, its not all his fault - I saw a TV commercial the other night that suggested a common, everyday automobile is an "investment," too.
People usually believe what they are told.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the same token, he did say... "asking $800 or shoot me an offer - please be reasonable." I rather think reasonable would be different to me than to him, but if I wanted it - I wouldn't hesitate to start negotiations.