View Single Post
Old 09-06-10, 02:26 PM
TheManSuit

Bikes: '89 Cannondale SR300; '64-'66 Allegro Special; '83 Centurion LeMans RS; '74 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Here's one link to Craig Griffith:
http://www.swissbicycles.com/
I think he's even been an occasional poster to this forum...he's certainly the go-to guy for Allegro, and based in SLO, Calif.
The marking on the BB shell should be GF for Georg Fischer: these sandcast steel BB shells were very common on Allegros, and were used by some British builders and Italian masters (I'm thinking DeRosa, but maybe have that wrong) as well.

I actually had contacted him about what he's quoting on some of his NOS frames, but I was more so just curious than anything else considering I had just paid Sailorbenjamen for the specific bike in question. He actually had a link to Mr. Griffith's website on the auction description, thus I looked into it. I'm thinking I'll take some detailed pics of the serial numbers and other markings and send it into him to see what he has to say. Not to mention it's something I need to do in case (forbid it!) I ever need to fill out a police report on a missing bicycle. Buddy of mine had his and his girlfriend's bike stolen and police couldn't help him without a record of the serial number.