View Single Post
Old 05-08-05, 07:49 AM
phinney

Bikes: Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm no expert on trainers but I read the description of that one on Ebay. The price is on the high end. It sounds like the resistance is generated from internal sliding friction with the normal force a function of the speed. Lots of problems to overcome for a design like this to work good.

You might want to look at a Kurt Kinetic. They do a good job of matching road resistance and use good technology to do so. Not perfect but the company stands behind them.

As far as a bike you won't care about weight, handling, or ride. Fit is important to the extent that you can get the handlebar/seat/pedal relationship right. Good pedals, shoes, and cycling shorts will also be nice. A bike shop that will sell you a low end bike but help you set it up properly, maybe swapping out stems and such, would be a good way to go. You'll probably want to try different seats to so if they have a used seat bin you can take advantage of that will be a plus. You certainly won't need a triple! Definitely go with a road bike for longer, tighter gearing and more versatile hand positions. You could sit bolt upright and probably be more comfortable but what fun would that be?

There are some dedicated stationary bikes which are high quality and won't break down. These would be the lowest maintenance and are typically very adjustable. You also would never have to inflate tires or clean the friction roller.

Lots of options. I find riding indoors very enjoyable and rewarding too. Also a great time to read.