Old 09-07-10, 02:41 PM
danamark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My lesson on this subject

Originally Posted by urbanking
Do you have any debris in the tire, or rim? Sometimes its hard to find, but its there.
Have a beg and sit forward pedal bike, i.e. most weight on rear. Couldn't keep a tube on back. My rubber rim tape was bad, went with that nylon stuff, bad move. Tape came in 10mm or 20mm, rim was about 10.5mm, so went with the 20mm. The tape was too wide, went up the side walls of rim. Ask bike shop, they said it was OK, wrong, the edges of this stuff is saw like ruff, so, will saw through the tube in about 5 miles. Finally, took a razor blade and slowly cut the tape in the channel to fit, also installed a next size up rubber rim tape over the nylon. My rim is a strange size, the wider rim tape fit just right, left a little bare rim left and right for the tire. Anyway, this was my problem, on the front I just replaced the rubber rim tape with new as the old one was failing to stay in place. As I say, I wanted the extra protection of the nylon because of all the weight at the rear on this kind of bike. Also, pushing that stem 3/4 or more into the tire then attaching the pump helped to make sure that part of the tube didn't pinch when inflating. Stem will push itself back out as the tire inflates. Not sure if this is the proper way, or installing a rubber rim tape over the nylon on is proper, but, it has worked for me. Went through 4 tubes before I figured out something. Hope this helps. I am no expert on this subject, but, got them back on.