View Single Post
Old 09-07-10, 11:48 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Saturday, did the "What was I thinking?" backside of Patterson Pass thing with bigbossman, LanceOldstrong and a host of other good folks. (I'm the grinning fool in the Renault ELF jersey in BBM's pics.) At one point, we saw a thermometer that claimed it was 98 degrees, but it never felt that hot to me. Great ride, great folks, great pre-ride and during-ride lunch stops, generally a very fun day.

Sunday, a quick 16 mile round trip from the Filmore and Lombard in SF to Sausalito over the GG Bridge whilst my dearly beloved was in a dance class. Gawd Almighty, there were a lot of riders on and around the Bridge. I have never seen so many bikes on it. The real problem wasn't so much when folks were riding - the renters were slow, but somebody had told them to ride in a straight line, and the Lance wannabes all were on quaaludes or something and thus abnormally relaxed - but an large number of people chose some suboptimal places to stop. At least I know not to be in a hurry going across, so it wasn't that big a deal. To make up for it, the downhill into Sausalito was unusually great - I hit a break in both the cars and the bike renters, and was able to really cut loose until the edge of town.