Old 05-08-05, 02:48 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyg1
Folding bikers, I'm often reminded, are unique. Are we? Personally I ended up with my folding bike after I ran out of other transportation options that actually worked. The electric scooter that I'd become so fond of riding died for the fourth time, after a piddling little touch of scooter-lethal rain and the folder was the last viable alternative.

Once I had my folding bike, its utility became more and more obvious and beyond re-igniting a passion for cycling I'd forgotten, I found myself using it to reconnect with an entire community and enjoying my _life more because of it. I guess that I found my bike by mistake. Or maybe it found me....

In reading the various posts of other folding bike users, I've noticed that the viewpoints of owners, even of the same model, are amazingly disparate. It seems to me that we all came to the folding bike with far different requirements, and wants, in mind.

Ultimately, it seems to me again, we share our experience on these boards to help others, less experienced than we, glean an avenue of consideration for their own wants and needs. They're interested in finding out about folders and they come here to learn what there is to know. The only way to do that well I propose, is to define how we all, us folder people, came to buy our bikes.

So, I'm interested.

Why did you all decide that a folder was for you?

I was looking for a bicycle that could be stay with me at all times in a bag or slip cover for security reasons.

What choice/choices did you make and why'd you buy what you bought?

I was looking at folders rather than a separating frame bike so it could stay in a compact, neat package when not in use. I chose a Dahon Boardwalk for value, price, handling characteristics, and no tools needed to collapse it.

What do you use it for?

Mainly as an stand-by Emergency Transport Vehicle. Somethimes as a communter or exercise bike.

Why'd you choose the wheelsize you chose?

I selected 20 inch tires because of the ease of replacement when needed. As well as covering alot of miles/kilometers when it is necessary.

Do you wish you'd bought a more expensive one, or a less expensive one?

I bought the best bicycle that I could afford at the time. It still proves a good introduction to the world of folders/portables/separating/traveling/collapsing or whatever these bikes are called.

Do you let anyone else ride your folding bike/bikes? Would you?

Not really. I prefer not to let others use it unless there is a good reason to.

Do you have a 'regular' size bike too?

Oh yes I do! I also have vintage 1968 Phillips 3 speed which was the model for the Dahon's modification.

Are you happy with the utility of your new toy, car replacement, cruiser, or whatever you call it?

[]I am extremely happy with the Emergency Transport Vehicle. It already proven itself many times over.[/FONT]

Did you find the thing life changing?

If you consider it's reason for it's purchase and use, yes it definitely is.

Thanks in advance for answering.

DG1
see above.