Old 09-08-10, 10:43 PM
ghostm42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how to destroy a stuck quill stem?

Hi,

I'm trying to get my stuck quill stem out of an old bike frame. It's an aluminum stem and the frame is steel. I managed to push the wedge thing off, but it's too big to fall out of the hole in the steerer tube. So, it's just kinda bouncing around in there now. The quill stem is still stuck.

I've read several threads about this with people suggesting all sorts of chemicals and techniques, but I'm looking for something that's free and that's guaranteed to work (preferably fast too). Although I'd like to save the stem, at this point, I'm ready to destroy it and replace it with a spare I have lying around.

I've tried hammering it down. It budges about a quarter-millimeter further down into the fork, but it's just remained there now. I'm not sure if I should hammer it upside-down, through the steerer tube hole, since this sounds like it would drive the wedge back into place.

I don't have a vise to try some serious twisting (though I hear that may bend the fork, which I want to keep). I do have a drill, though the bits may not be big enough. No dremel accessible. No torches either. Any suggestions?