Old 09-11-10, 07:13 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Our brake and shifter cables are the same sort of cable that is used for lighter duty uses in aviation. So the cable cutters should do just fine. They'll likely do a decent job on the housing. The ends will still require a cleanup but the cutters wouldn't wear out.

For grinding the ends instead of a Dremel like tool I'd suggest spend a touch more and get a bench grinder. If you have any sort of dedicated working area even if it's just a corner of the laundry room a small bench grinder is useful for SO many things beside working on bicycles that it's as much a no brainer as having a GOOD bench vise. But if you're working on an apartment balcony then a Dremel like tool is the better option just because you can put it away.

For long term ownership though go with the power cord version. The corded AC versions of these cheaper offshore tools are far, far, FAR better than the cheezy battery versions that don't even have enough torque to pull the skin off the top of a bowl of Jello pudding. Not to mention that long after the battery has expired and you can't find replacements the corded tool will still be working strongly.

I got a Samona offshore as a spare to save running back and forth from one work area to the other with the actual Dremel and so far it's running fine after a couple of years of occasional use. Or just suck it up and buy an actual AC version Dremel, a speed control FOOT PEDAL and enjoy them for the rest of your life. This is one time that I totally agree that it totally pays to buy the totally superior and well supported tools over the cheap offshore ones. I've had the same Dremel tool and foot pedal control for about 30 to 35 years now and it is still going as strong as the day I bought it. Well, actually I think one of the bearings needs it's once a decade drop of oil. It's starting to get squeal'y again. Oh my....