View Single Post
Old 09-13-10, 02:10 AM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
Personally I have never fallen with a bike yet and hope I never will either.
Would it ease your mind to know that chances are good you'll probably walk away with little more than a bit of road rash? Most bike crashes are harmless, but since people rarely tell stories about their tamer wrecks, it's easy to get hung up on the idea that all wrecks are traumatic (some are, but again, the minority). Just don't ride like an idiot and you can avoid some of the harder lessons that some of us have brought upon ourselves. If you've made it through your 20s without wrecking, then you're probably good, barring bad luck (which can get you anywhere, on or off the bike). Don't stress it and enjoy the ride.

Hey look, bike pics!

I hate large, garish logos. Would you buy a car if the manufacturer's name was emblazoned all the way down the side, in letters twelve inches high? Why do bike manufacturers think this is ok? On my lady's Trek, it states the type of aluminum used in four separate locations! It's hideous, and for years I've been covering my Kona with layers of stickers to cover up the original decals. At a certain point, though, excessive stickering rendered the Dorkcycle too dorky for even me (who's been pretty comfortable with his own dorkitude since middle school, some 20+ years ago). So, while the lady was out of town for the weekend, I broke out the noxious chemicals and stripped the stickers, paint, decals, and all off of the bike. Result? Shiny, non-descript goodness. Until night falls, that is. Then we roll...

...like Vegas, baby.

I'm so happy that the sun is finally setting at a decent hour again. Sure, 20 hours of daylight is pretty cool, but do you have any idea how much moolah I've dropped on lights? And the encroaching darkness is the outrider for winter proper. Bring on the snow! Bring on the ice! My studded tires have been gathering rust in the closet, they need to roll. Not to mention my poor, neglected skis.