Old 09-13-10, 02:09 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
The Surly LHT is not anywhere close to being original and like Rivendell uses what I consider to be classic and time proven geometry to create a very capable touring bike.

As far as value goes, the LHT is a nearly unbeatable deal unless you are buying used and they have proven themselves to be tough and ultra dependable bicycles.

My expedition bike is a 1987 Kuwahara Cascade that I have ridden in excess of 30,000 km since I bought it and passed on buying a Miyata 1000 because the Cascade is just that freaking nice.

Have done a lot of work on it but as new it was a 900.00 bike which is pretty good for what was a hand built Japanese frame built on Ishiwata quad butted tubes... it rides beautifully and has handled epic amounts of abuse as it spent a few winters as an ss and fg bike and then I decided she was too nice for that.

The Raleigh / Carlton Gran Sport that Keller posted is one of the sweetest riding bikes... it is not one that I put put a Clyde on but the combination of that 531 frame and fork, long wheelbase, and sport geometry all comes together to make for one hell of a nice ride.