View Single Post
Old 09-13-10, 10:03 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by cappuccino911
not sure where the notion that I have zero skills came from but totally not the case, I've just never tinkered with wheels. Regarding the shifting, it's no problem. The new bike is a 24 speed. the flat bar shifters are coming off my rapid which is also 8 speed. They are the r221 shifters that require the special front deraileur so all I really have to do is get an adaptor because the FD is a braze on. The flat bar shifters require less cable housing than the brifters so i wont even have to replace them. Should be an easy swap.

I was hoping she would take a liking to the drop bars, but its not worth it now. If she really gets into it and decides she wants to go faster, I can just put them back on, but since we live in nyc, being mentally comfortable that she is in control of the bike when riding through the streets is paramount.
Just be aware that the stem might not be the correct diameter for the flat bars - double check before installing them. If the new bars are a smaller diameter, you can use a shim to allow the bars to be used safely.
Congrats to your GF on her new ride!