View Single Post
Old 09-14-10, 09:44 AM
alcanoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
.'Is this just age related and something I should get used to or is there some different approach or training I should try? (Sorry if this is long winded. I'm just at a loss.)

Yes and no on the age related. You could have just had a bad day and it was due to one of many possible reasons. Blaming age is a common "cop-out" which is too readily used in our sedentary culture.

On the other hand, recovery takes longer as one ages. If it was due to leg fatigue and that fatigue was not due to inadequate training/condition or inadequate carbs, then it could be due to inadequate rest time between training rides. Then yes if you haven't accommodated the need for longer recovery time.

I remember the first inkling of the longer rest time requirement at about 65 (71 now).

The curve (Bicycle Science 3, page 64) indicates a 2 mph drop in average speed between ages 60 and 70 for a 50 mile time trail. The drop-off is the same between 70 and 80. Both the speed and the oxygen consumption are straight line decreases from age 40. So nothing happens over night, popular folklore not withstanding.

Nothing in the data indicates legs "turning to mush". I have and always had days like that. One data point does not a trend make. Training/conditioning is the key as well as carb supplementation for hard rides over 30 minutes roughly.

There's a famous 74 year-old guy who goes around competing in the 100 mile mountain bike races like Leadville (Armstrong won the last one) and Tanasi/Ocoee. He should write a book on how he trains.

Al