View Single Post
Old 09-14-10, 08:14 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewP
Low spoke tension accelerates fatigue failure as the tension drops to zero at the bottom of the wheel when riding. If the tension is up to spec there is still positive tension on the bottom spokes, You dont need to buy expensive hand built wheels. I weigh 235 lb and have ordinary machine built wheels. I also have a spoke tensiometer ($60) and make sure the tension is over 100 kg and even all around when I first install the wheel.
But the end effect is the same: you're evening out the spoke tension by hand. Basically you're saving cash by doing the work yourself versus paying somebody to do it.

For someone who doesn't have the tools/know-how/motivation to do it themselves, purchasing a machine-built wheel and then paying to have it gone through to even out the tensions is about the same money in the end as buying a hand-built wheel up front.

Hand built doesn't necessarily mean fancy or expensive. My hand built commuter wheels were priced quite fairly ($185 for the set shipped), and while I wouldn't want to race them they are more than bulletproof for my daily needs.

I've still got my old hubs/rims. If I ever get motivated enough I may use them to learn to lace up a rim from scratch. But right now there are other things I'd rather do.