Old 09-20-10, 06:42 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genec
Just doing a quick extrapolation... if there are 32,000 annual motorist deaths, there are about 2.5 million injured motorists... if 700 cyclists are dying annually... there are perhaps about 56,000 cyclists injured annually. We always talk about deaths... we tend to overlook injuries.
While I appreciate your attempt at extrapolating the number of injuries from the number of deaths, and admit that it's likely pretty accurate for motorists (though one would need to state how serious an injury must be before it's counted), I question the accuracy of extrapolating (mostly) motorist data into cyclist data.

In a car, you tend to be uninjured in most collisions. On a bike, even minor collisions tend to result in injuries.

Ultimately, based on that, I would expect the injured/killed ratio for cyclists to be higher than for motorists. Of course, to actually quantify this qualitative guess would be difficult -- motorist injuries are better reported than cyclist injuries, for example, and ultimately the only thing that's accurately reported is deaths.