Old 09-25-10, 11:36 AM
dscheidt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kevingamble34
Thanks to everyone for some good suggestions, etc.

DrewEck, I think you're right about the improper tension, etc. It seemed to be a problem from the beginning. I got hit by a car and the only part that I needed to replace was the rear wheel's rim. It never seemed true from the start and the LBS who built it up is a little kooky, I've moved on to another shop (and moved to a different city...). I've considered learning some basic wheelbuilding from a local shop, that's a good idea.

I talked to a bike coop today that builds wheels. Everyone seems to agree that handbuilt wheels are way better, and I could barely afford the price ($120) but it seems to make more sense in the long run.

However, the suggested $120 wheelbuild included a Mavic Open Sport rim, DT Swiss spokes, but keeping my current Tiagra hub... Do y'all think this hub is worth re-building with? It's a 32h spoke count. I've been going to this shop since high school and they are confident I wouldn't need to even true my wheels for 5 yrs no matter the abuse. Perhaps that's the way to go...
Unless there's something wrong with the hub, there's no reason not to use it. I'd rather have a 36 hole wheel in back, but a properly built 32 spoke wheel will work just fine. The quality of a hub has essentially zero to with the strength of the wheel, except for hole count and axle strength.