Old 09-26-10, 02:19 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I always take a bottle on every ride but if it is a ten miler to the Cafe- then I doubt that I would touch it. 20 miles and that one bottle would be gone by the 10 miles. I would start sipping after about 5 minutes and just keep sipping. Don't get the very high temps over here often but 70 deg+ and it would be at least 1 litre of water an hour- more if possible on the longer rides. And when cool- then it may be a bit less but That is the danger time- you still sweat out fluids when working hard on a bike in Cool weather. You can get fooled into thinking you don't need to drink------but you do.

Eats and depends on the ride. Less than 2 hours and I won't eat anything--Unless it's a Pie ride to the cafe. Longer than than that and something high in Carbs- Dried fruit- cereal bars- Cake etc. and Depends on the intensity on how much I eat. I once counted how many calories I took in on a 12 hour ride I used to do. It was around 5,000. That scared me so never bothered again.

And rest breaks- Whenever you need them. A Metric in 4 hours and it is stop at the end. 100 miler and I stop at around 60 to 65 miles. My 12 hour ride and it was every 2 hours.

But a 50 miler at the weekends and I stop whenever I feel like it. Could be every hour or so- or may be no stops. I just let the ride dictate when I stop---And never stop for a break just before a hill- obvious really but also ride over the top of a hill. Most uphills are followed by downhills so stop at the top and the muscles get cool- then restart with a long downhill to get colder.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 09-26-10 at 02:32 PM.