View Single Post
Old 09-26-10, 10:22 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by 4hmom
I have never worked on a bike and I am not mechanically inclined but I thought I'd learn how on this one since I can't make it any worse than it is. My husband says the bearings still look good, just need greasing. I have to admit that if I ever have a bike problem, and I have had very few, I take my bike to a bike shop. But I want to learn.
The fact that you have a main bike and that this is a project really helps. If you have a community bike shop or co-op nearby, that would be your best bet for having access to expertise and tools. You can get by with most basic tools (8mm-12mm box wrenches, #1,#2,#3 Phillips head screwdrivers, Flat blade screwdrivers, allen keys, etc) but you can only get so far without needing something more specific.

Pics would be very helpful. If your husband is mechanically inclined it could become a fun joint project.

Where to start? Here's what I'd do:
1- clean it up as well as you can as is. Warm water with a mild soap, sponges, cotton cloths/towels will do.
2- Learn about bicycles and how they work. Internet is good. A bike co-op is great. Bikes are actually quite simple things mechanically, so it is not like trying to learn about how a car works. It is empowering to begin to understand how things work and why they are there.
3 - disassemble it entirely. Be methodical and keep things organized. Initially, keep "assemblies" assembled when they are removed from the frame (brake calipers, shifters, etc).
4- assess the condition of the parts. Any cables and housing will likely be shot, the brake pads will likely be hard, etc. I wouldn't write the brakes off just yet. I've brought many a frozen caliper back to life, but it takes work and some mechanical effort/time.
5 - refurbish the parts that can be kept. I like to break the assemblies (like brake calipers) down to their basic parts, thoroughly clean them, lubricate them and re-assemble them.
6 - identify what needs to be replaced and obtain the replacement parts.
7 - build it back up and enjoy!

Not an insignificant list for someone who is not mechanically inclined, but it's what I would do. The benefit is a bike that is essentially as clean and mechanically perfect as possible - a clean, properly functioning bike is more fun to ride than one that is working "sort of okay"

Have fun with it. Don't get on a time crunch, and just let the project unfold.

Last edited by canyoneagle; 09-26-10 at 10:25 PM.