Old 09-29-10, 06:52 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Here I go again, another attempt to get back into shape.

Here I go again, another attempt to get back into shape. First a little history, I was fat, I got into shape, I raced road and mountain bikes and made it to cat 3 on the road bike.

My racing "career" came to an abrupt end when I found out that I needed knee surgery about two years ago. My first two surgeries did not go well and left me with two screwed up knees. After the surgeries my surgeon told me that my riding days were over so I sold all my bikes and went on with life. I finally decided to get a new surgeon and had both of my knees operated on again. I was told that I would probably be able to ride but only on flat ground. In WV riding flat ground really isn't an option so I wasn't too hopeful.

On July 4th I decided to go against my doctors suggestion, I jumped on the bike for a short 18 mile test ride. It about killed me but my knees held up fine. The worst part was that I was 260 pounds at this point.

Anyway, it's been almost three months since I got back on the bike. I am down to 233 pounds and I have ridden 1,150 miles so far, including an impromptu solo century. My knees are doing pretty well on the bike but they still ache just about all of the time. At my last doctor visit the surgeon told me to keep it up and with each pound I lose my knees will feel better.

I realize that I will never race again but I am hoping to be able to hold my own on fast group rides. My goal is 180 pounds and then see if I want to lose any more or if I am happy with myself at that point.

If anyone is interested here is a link to my Garmin dashboard showing most of my rides.

Here is a very embarassing "before" picture. This picture was taken right around July 2nd.