View Single Post
Old 09-29-10, 11:49 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal
Hi.

I just bought an 85 300, but the diamond-frame model. I like it plenty, but like the OP, i intend to make some radical changes. There'd already been some fairly major mods done by the previous owner (wheelset, crank, RD), but i'm liable to go whole-hog.

As some ppl had mentioned, there aren't bosses for D/T shifters. I think bar-cons'd be the best bet for folks planning on using a derailer system.

The brakeset is dia-compe 500. If memory serves me (it's been a week since i started tearing my latest ride down), there's at least 4mm of downward play in the brakeset. riding the bike in to work a few times, i found the brakes to be adequate, but barely so. The new rims were some cheapish alloy jobs, but i weigh an eighth of a ton, so braking might be better for the OP.

I agree with the person above when s/he said that making it "as light as possible" is a questionable money-pit. Regardless of how cool the frame is, it's made of straight-gauge 4130 steel. My 23" diamond frame is heavy; i imagine that a mixte, with the extra tubes, is even heavier. It'll never be a lightweight bike. A better focus would be on reliability/durability/ comfort.

I recently got an old fuji mixte for my ol' lady, and we're doing that up as a 3speed with drum brakes. this is what inspired me to grab the old B-stone for cheap; i intend to hook it up as either a SS or 3speed with drums, which sidesteps brake compat issues, and allows for even more rubber in there, should we desire.

Good luck. enjoy the build. There seems to be a recent resurgence of interest in semi-decent japanese-made bikes of the 70s and 80s, but thereare still plenty of deals to be had. I got the late 70's mixte for my wife b/c the VO, riv, and soma mixtes are expensive, with overly-wide 132.5mm spacing in most cases. For $50, i got a complete bike with very little wear-n-tear, and some components worthy of keeping. Ya done well, so far, i reckon

-rob
Nice find. Older Japanese bikes are indeed starting to appreciate. In fact higher-line Bridgestones have developed a bit of a cult following. However, your 300 and my 400 really don't fit in the "higher line" catagory but they make very nice users.

My 23" 400 has a butted Cr-Mo main triangle with Hi-Ten stays and fork and no one ever used the term "light weight" in describing it.

The OEM brakes on my 400 were Bridgestone-labeled Dia-Compe single pivots with a novel self-centering feature that was quite nice. A very worthwhile upgrade for your 300 would be Kool Stop Salmon pads as they make marginal brakes decent and good brakes into world beaters. I never tried to fit 700c wheels so I don't know if the pads could be adjusted enough but I wouldn't be surprised to find out they would.