Old 09-29-10, 01:39 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Skandl
Cool, thanks for the advice. Another question - how tight should the cones be against the bearings? Too tight seems like a no-no, so leaving a bit of room for the bearings to roll around OK?
Check out this Sheldon Brown - Cone Adjustment site. Typically I find that with QR hubs, I will adjust to zero-play in the bearing so that the axle spins perfectly smooth. Then back off the cone about 10-20 degrees to introduce a minor amount of play. Then hold the cone steady while I tighten the locknut. I've found the axle oiled before putting the cones & locknuts on prevents spinning the axle relative to the cone when you tighten the locknut down.

The final test I do is to place the wheel into the frame and barely tighten the skewer just enough to hold it in the dropouts. Moving the rim sideways between the brake-pads shows some play in the bearings. Then after I fully tighten the skewer, the play disappears when check at the rim between the pads.

BTW - I like boat-trailer bearing-grease in my hubs. The blue tacky stuff has great adhesion and doesn't get pushed aside as easily as other greases when the bearing rolls around the race.