View Single Post
Old 09-29-10, 10:46 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I've also had 2 sets of wheels built by Universal. I have been extremely satisfied with their work. I am even more impressed with their excellent customer service. They are great folks to deal with. On a recent wheel build the wheel came with a rim other than what I expected (not their fault). I called and they did not have the rim I wanted in stock. At that time, they were not to be found anywhere in the country-- black, 36 hole, Velocity Dyad 700c, machine sidewalled rims. The one they sent had a non-machined sidewall. They said the return was not a problem and they would rebuild the wheel if I could find the rim I wanted. I did luck out and found one at the shop that was building the frame for my wife's new bike. I sent the new rim back with the wheel, and a rebuilt wheel was back in 2 days ( I live in OR, and UPS is fast from PDX)--no fuss, no charge, subtacted the rim cost out, and built a great wheel. I do a lot of my bike business with them because of their great cutomer service. It also helps that their prices are very competitive, and parts arrive within a couple of days.

PS. We have about 1000 miles of loaded touring on one set and about 1500 miles on the other. They are everything I expect in a good wheel.
Both have 36 hole Velocity Dyad rims, one set with Ultegra hubs, one with Shimano XT hubs, Wheelsmith double butted spokes.

Last edited by Doug64; 09-29-10 at 10:54 PM.