Old 09-30-10, 09:41 AM
pennstater

Bikes: Look 765 Gravel RS, Lynskey Cooper CX, Lynskey R260

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by xizangstan
Is bike theft a greater or lesser concern at those stops, than back home? I assume you lock 'em up everywhere you stop. You got maps to the places you wanted to visit, I'm sure. And any considerations you needed to make for local laws or regulations concerning bikes?

I bet there are a lot more gray-headed folks interested in bike touring than many realize. Especially if the rides are easy. Don't you think that many of the people who are active enough to take cruises and go exploring ashore, are also physically fit enough for easy bike rides?
We did not take our A rides which we never lock because we never leave them unattended. The places we visited didn't seem like high risk areas, but you never know so yes we did use locks to keep honest people honest.

This was about seven years ago. We just asked the locals or used road maps. Today I would probably use the internet for route planning. I really didn't think of this as touring but as sightseeing by bicycle. We've done similar bicycle sightseeing when traveling by car. I'd jump at the opportunity to cruise the Mediterranean with organized land support for cycling excursions.