JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by dasding
I removed the headset and faced/reamed the headtube to accept a 30.2 mm OD cup. I also got a new tange levin headset and pressed the cups in. But now for some reason the 27mm crown race fits on the steerer pretty easily, and it has a little bit of wiggle in it. I'm positive that the original unit that was on the bike had a 27mm crown race, as I measured it with my calipers. It looks to me like the ridges that the race sits on are worn out--does this happen? The surface that the crown race sits on measures 27mm OD, which would explain why I can get the race on by hand--there is no interference. Is it common for this surface to wear out? or am I going crazy and I actually have a bike that takes a 26.4mm crown race despite what the specs say, and what the old headset seems to be. If it is worn down so that I can slide the 27mm piece on, can I just go down to a 26.4 mm race. As this is the second headset I've purchased, I'd rather not buy a whole new unit.
I'd just mill it down to ISO 26.4mm. The presence of ridges on the the steer tube suggests to me that the race seat was milled undersize for JIS 27.0mm and was then knurled to build it up and hold the race. You could try re-knurling it, but IMO knurling is a cobble-job in the first place and re-knurling a step beyond that even. Milling it to the proper ISO dimensions should solve your problems.