View Single Post
Old 10-01-10, 11:55 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
How much distance is too far...?

I'm just curious on this. Among people who actually strive to be car-free or car-light, how much distance do you find acceptable to travel on a bike? Suppose you need to visit somebody at a hospital, meet friends for a picnic, or go to a nearby town to sign some papers, or, more simply, just run a whole lot of errands in different places?

And: what do you do when you need to travel further than your legs want to carry you? I'm guessing most people in this forum try to structure their life so that doesn't happen very often. But, when it does, do you push some of your traveling back until tomorrow? Do you get people to meet you half way?

Finally, how do people go about camping, hiking, and doing things like that, in a car-free manner? Suppose you lived in Seattle and enjoyed hiking in the Cascade range; Granite Mnt is about a 10 mile hike with 3,500 feet of elevation gain, and the trailhead is about 50 miles from here. Assume you can't do this hike and a century ride in one day. ( My answer has been to recruit a few friends for the hike, and then to car pool. )