Old 10-01-10, 02:10 PM
ppc
Senile Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nealjoslyn
I think I can stop a lot faster by skidding (than just resisting forward motion with legs). When I try to slow down fast with resisting, it just makes me bounce all over the place and hurts my knees more than initiating a skid.
I follow the pedals and pedal round in reverse, so to speak, if that makes sense, and I don't bounce, even at high RPM.

Originally Posted by nealjoslyn
Think about it like a back brake on a bike. The rear wheel only skids when maximum braking force is applied. If you apply less than maximum, the wheel doesn't skid.
Actually once a tire starts skidding, the braking force decreases considerably. That's why ABS was invented, to keep the wheel spinning and braking right at the edge of locking up.

Also, since your legs are a lot weaker than a brake, you have to unload the rear wheel to initiate the skid. The only way you could get the maximum braking force out of a skidding tire is if you reloaded the wheel just enough to keep skidding, right at the edge before the tire would regain traction, which is almost impossible.