View Single Post
Old 10-01-10, 09:19 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I have to somewhat cynically ask - where is all the increased testing leading us to? I think that so far, it has accomplished two things. It has weeded out the blatant and careless cheaters, and it has made those who are determined to get an edge more and more sophisticated. I do not think they will ever be able to make the sport completely clean, and frankly, short of using implanted sensors and round the clock monitors for each athlete, there's no way the sport could ever be 100% clean. Even today, if I were a young and promising pro cyclist who was committed to riding clean, I would have two concerns - outside of "what are others doing".

1. The current controls are very near the limits of what I would consider to be "too invasive". Having to let my boss know where I am going to be 24/7? That's quite a sacrifice of personal privacy.

2. The prospect of having my career effectively destroyed by environmental exposure or unwitting consumption of something forbidden.

I think it is possible for testing to go "too far", and I think pro cycling is approaching that limit.
You are pretty much correct. The issue is the penalty. The two year ban is not enough of a deterent. The riders need to be facing a consequence of such magnitude that it will effectively end their career in the pro tour for a significant period of time.