View Single Post
Old 10-02-10, 12:39 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
There is only one way to compare bikes and that is to test ride them. I don't have the problem as to whether it is going to be custom steel or C.F as I am not in the market for a bike.

However 3 years ago I was. I went to a lot of shops and I was talking a higher end bike. Never rode steel but Ti- CF and Al. My feeling was that if I was spending that amount on a bike- it had to be right- None of them were perfect and some put me off that "Big Name" manufacturer altogether. But back to my LBS and chat again. I did buy from my usual LBS and I bought a top end Al frame and got it custom built on components.

But that was only after a good test ride on the owners bike that luckily fitted and on MY wheels. I knew how those wheels felt so took one variable away from the equation. That bike is still the one I prefer to ride and the quality shows through.

Aluminium is not a favoured material nowadays but this bike suits me. It is a top end frame and the components fitted are a compromise on quality and cost so is yet another way to go. But quality does show through. This is a race spec frame and can understand why it was a rated manufacturer for the club racers over here.

So test out the bikes that interest you- it is the only way that you will buy a bike that will be ridden and not only come out for the odd jaunt. That was the mistake I made on the next bike as I went CF in a TCR-C. Good bike but it doesn't give me the ride I really want.

Spike Milligan