Old 10-03-10, 07:31 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat
Good luck to you. I don't know about hanging with A riders. The Horrible Hundred is a great ride. Doing a dry run of 65 miles is a good idea. But if you can not ride comfortably with the A group, don't even try. Riding with a too fast group over hills and 65 miles is a recipe for failure. Try to find a couple of other riders to ride with.

I hope you have a good time and good luck to you.
As you will see in another post, it was a FAIL! I should have ridden with the B group, but I wanted to do "Sugarloaf" and they were not going to. And while I had to walk up the last 2/3rds, I had a great ride, and linked up with another "not quite A" rider and we finished together, only a few minutes and a few miles less than the "big dogs"

The ride a great and we all had a super time. I learned a lot, and I know I need to use my 12 - 27 not the 11-25. I also am reconsidering the 100 mi vs 70 mi. I know I can do the 100, but I'm not certain I'll be any better prepared to ride the "mountain" in 6 weeks than I am now. I would not be able to keep up with the A riders, but there will be plenty of B riders for other clubs doing the 100 that I could link up with and ride.

But our club needs an experienced ride leader for the B group, and most of them will be on the 70 mi ride. Perhaps that's my place for the ride. We won't do "Sugarloaf" but the it may be more than I can chew at almost 63.

To make matters worse, my BP suddenly spiked from 120/76 to 150/90 in 2 months and reamained there abouts, and I don't know why. Until that gets under control, I'll keep things on the moderate side. That was one reason I chose to walk up Sugarloaf rather than HTFU as far as I could go.

Tonight I feel fine. I didn't over exert, and my lungs and heart rate prevent me from burning out my legs, so I'm in better shape than most of the other riders. I'm very confident I about the 70 mi, and I know I can do the 100 if I choose. So while today was a "FAIL" I learned a lot and will make some important decisions.