Old 10-03-10, 08:14 PM
andgott

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I finally had a chance to get a slightly longer ride in today- 33 miles. The bike did VERY well, and I did OK, too... It's been a while since I've ridden longer distances, so I'm breaking myself back in!

The thing that attracted me to this particular model is the more relaxed riding position that was advertised. My Litespeed was a Veneto model, which was also a more relaxed riding position- which is what I really liked about it. When I compared frame geometries, the Motobecane was VERY similar- And when I got it I was pleasantly surprised with how well it fit me- and how comfortable it was. I had tried some Carbon fiber frames in the past, but never really found one that I liked- It seems most were more 'go fast' frames, where comfort was secondary, especially for someone my size.

It is not an upright position by any means- The seat is still well above the handlebars, but compared to my other road bike (an entry level Giant, with a compact aluminum frame), it allows me to stretch out a bit more. It feels far more comfortable, and so far I've felt a LOT more comfortable after the rides than I did riding on the Giant... Not nearly as achy and sore, especially the NEXT day.

As for the TI vs CF thing- I LOVED my titanium bike- and really DO miss it... The ride was great, and it was pretty light. The ride quality of the CF bike I'm on now is as good, if not better- and it's also lighter (not that a pound or two here and there makes a ton of difference to me- I could loose a couple dozen from the gut that would make WAY more difference first!!). BUT- The price paid is durability- I crashed the Litespeed more than once, and other than nasty road rash and a bruised ego, There were no problems. If I'd have done that with a Carbon Frame, There is probably a good chance I'd have ruined it.

As for steering- She handles well. It's not quite as 'snappy' as my Giant, which is a smaller frame, but roughly the same as the Litespeed. It's super smooth. The Carbon Frame seems to really absorb the bumps in the road, too- Doesn't shake the bones like the Giant does. I'm happy with my investment, as long as it lasts me a while!

-Andrew