View Single Post
Old 10-04-10, 04:51 PM
Lawrence08648
Advisor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a new bike 5 years ago that came with Mavic wheels. I was breaking a spoke every 75-150 miles on the front. After 14 broken spokes the bike manufacturer, the store nor Mavic would guarantee or offer anything, Mavic didn't want anything to do with the wheel and the spokes breaking. The bike manufacturer had me sent the wheel to be rebuilt, same rim, same hub, new spokes, to a large wholesale bike parts office for their "wheel builder", who I talked to and didn't think he could build a wheel properly as he told me he was so experienced he didn't need to use a tensionmeter. After getting the wheel back, I broke a spoke again, every 75-150 miles. After breaking about 14 spokes I went to my LBS and bought a box of spokes (I had a tensionmeter) and I respoked the wheel myself. I put 4,000 miles on that wheel before the first spoke broke. The first and and second rebuild used straight gauge spokes. Upon recommendation of my LBS I used double butted 2.0/1.8 spokes. I don't regret that decision and would use 2.0/1.8 again over straight spokes. Though everyone made a good argument for and against, and made sense, this becomes a personal choice what you would think is the best spoke to use.