Old 10-06-10, 05:40 AM
nolalala

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question about a Hudson Valley (NY) bike route

Hi. I'm planning a long ride this weekend, a one-day ride of 140m or so, and when I input the coordinates into google maps, this is what the robots at google suggest for the second half of the ride:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...8&z=9&lci=bike

The first half I'm well familiar with (which is why I didn't include a map of it), but I was wondering if anyone could offer any input on this part of the route that google has selected. Specifically I'm wondering:

1) how these roads are in terms of traffic and their appropriateness for cycling. Google cycle maps has, from time to time, spit me out on to roads on which I did not feel very safe, and with a lot of this route going on to state highways, I wanted to check with someone who's experienced in this region, and ask if you'd consider these roads safe for biking.

2) what kind of hills I'll be looking at. I'd describe myself as an experienced distance cyclist, so it's not that I fear hills, it's just that I'd like to know when/if they're coming so I can pace accordingly. Also, it'd be nice to know if there are any crazy 12% grade climbs or anything on this route, so I could be ready for that.

Thanks! Any advice/guidance is greatly appreciated.