View Single Post
Old 10-07-10, 08:52 AM
neil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're crazy. The Aurora is a great bike for its price point, but don't make it what it's not. The difference between good and great components really only comes out in situations where seconds count. Races. The Aurora isn't a racing bike, so there's no real benefit to upgrading. If there's something substantial that you don't like - would like barcons instead of brifters, the STI cable line is in the way (which it is), something like that - it might be worth replacing. But just upgrading to higher end equipment? This isn't the kind of bike where you'll get much value for the upgrade.

Originally Posted by KruiserIV
Is there a downside to having full Dura Ace / Sram Red on a commuter? And I'd like to have two bikes, hence selling the one to purchase a tourer or possibly CX.
You've dropped a lot of money for no real benefit? You're now parking $3000 outside the grocery store instead of $1300?

I've even considered swapping out the stock Aurora components with my Madon's Dura Ace and converting my Trek 6500 into a project build.
It's entirely possible that you could find someone on CL who would pay almost as much for a Madone with downgraded parts as for a Dura Ace one, but it would probably take longer to sell. This would certainly be a much lower cost way to upgrade components on the Aurora, since you're not going to get anything close to full component value on the used market.