View Single Post
Old 10-07-10, 11:56 AM
Velo Dog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Maybe, maybe not... Are you sitting back on the wide part of the saddle? Sitting on it more toward the nose might cause issues even if the seat has a groove/split. What used to work for me (before I went completely recumbent) was to angle the nose up just a half a hair. That was enough to stop me from sliding forward onto the nose as I rode. Otherwise, I had The Problem(tm).
My old favorite saddle used to be an Avocet Touring II, which had little raised bumps under my sitz bones, for a bit more padding there and nowhere else. Probably the precursor to the current 'ergonomic' saddles.
Same for me, right down to the Touring II. I rode one of those until it fell apart. I also tried one of the early grooved saddles, a Specialized Body Geometry, I think it was called, and HATED it. I rode it for about a week and gave it to a friend, who liked it. Saddle choice is a very individual thing.
What finally worked for me is a Brooks B-17. I've had my oldest one for at least 15 years, and I'm still comfortable on it for three hours at a stretch. I bought another one new in the box at a thrift shop for $4.50 several years ago, and have picked up two more used since. They're all in regular use and all comfortable. They do seem to work for most people, but I have a couple of friends who just didn't like them.
Setup is important, too. Nose slightly up seems to work for me on most saddles, but I have a riding buddy who keeps the nose pointed down several degrees, maybe half an inch or more lower than the rear of the saddle. Looks weird, and I can barely sit on his bike, but he swears by it. You might try moving the nose up or down in TINY increments, a millimeter or two at a time.