View Single Post
Old 05-13-05, 01:50 AM
Jed19

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hotwheels
It is open to Bicyclist. When you get to the entrance from San Clemente you will take the Basilone road as instructed by the MP. But don't take any of our words for it. Call the Community Relations Office at (760) 725-5569. I just called yesterday (5-11-05) and the person gave the exact instructions stated above. Also, you need a helmet to ride on base!
As I am not very familiar with the area, my problem is actually trying to find out the following:

a) When you get to San Clemente, what street(s) do you take to what gate at Camp Pendleton?

b)I am sure the military police officers manning sentry at the appropriate Camp Pendleton entrance will point me in the right direction as to riding thru their Base. However, I need to know if there are specific hours one is not allowed to ride thru the Base. I will only ride on Saturday or Sunday mornings, maybe between 7AM and 10 or 11AM. Are these time frames acceptable to the Marine Corps authorities at Camp Pendleton?

c) When you get out of Camp Pendleton, I assume one then rejoins the Coast Highway at Oceanside for onward ride to San Diego? Is Oceanside a town one wants to linger in and have lunch, or is it a rough military town you want to ride thru as fast as you can?

d) does anyone really have an idea re: returning to Orange County, specifically Irvine aboard Amtrak? What hours for the evening/night returning trains? My plan is to ride to San Diego on Sunday morning, spend the day there, and then return on a night train to Irvine. Any appropriate advice regarding safety, traffic volume and similar concerns?

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers