Old 10-08-10, 09:01 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaidog
I'm looking for a 2-layer solution that is somewhat "aerodynamic".
I ride 1 hour each way to/from work, and don't plan to ride if it's
below 35 degrees.

I'm currently thinking of the Sugoi Wallaroo Long Sleeve Jersey:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Catalo...hTerm=wallaroo

along with a skin-tight base layer such as Champion C9 PowerCore Tee:

http://www.target.com/C9-by-Champion...k&frombrowse=1

Any thoughts on whether this combination would work? My thinking is that the
base layer will provide some wind protection and the wallaroo will provide warmth.
I know that wind protection is usually on the outside, but maybe this will work??
There is a big difference between 35-55 degrees. What you describe might be OK for some people at 55 degrees but for others it would not be warm enough. It depends on how cold the ground gets at night were you ride. If the ground is frozen you have to wear more gear for the same air temperature than you would if the ground is warm.

Generally what you describe is inadequate for 35 Degrees. But will work just fine if you add a cycling jacket. There is no getting around the cycling jacket. It's the most important thing to keep you warm and dry. It has no insulation it's just a barrier to the elements. You layer things underneath it for warmth. The better ones can be rather form fitting and retain reasonable aerodynamics. It's better in my opinion to never have more than three layers no matter how cold. In severe cold you just wear a thicker middle layer. You can generally get by with 1 pair of medium thickness cycling tights over your cycling shorts down to 35 degrees if the ground is not frozen solid.

Advice: buy a cycling jacket first. It can work at 55 -35 degrees just fine depending on what you have underneath it. Long sleeve jerseys are best for 60-70 degree temps. The cycling jacket is more flexible and useful. You can buy a form fitting soft shell type if you want aero. But they are not usually as warm as the hard shell type. Under the cycling jacket you can layer cheap discount ski wear. Long sleeve jersey is nice for fall and can be used for layering in winter but it does not work as well as a mid layer as some cheaper gear.

I like to use a runners zip turtle neck long sleeve jersey or a lightweight polar fleece shirt for the middle layer depending on how cold it is. There is no getting around experimenting with this because everyone's metabolism is different while riding.