Old 10-09-10, 02:52 PM
evbophoto

Bikes: POS Sears Free Spirit, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
which to convert to fixie? older mountain bike or free spirit?

Basically looking for some input on which of my bikes to convert over to a ss/fixie. Here's what I've got: bike #1 - 99/00 Gary Fisher Wahoo MTB (no suspension) with big ole knobby tires, slightly rusty chain and gears and worn out brakes but the frame is in perfect shape. bike #2 - early 80s(?) Sears Free Spirit w/bad breaks, a chain that's too small to go through all the gears, new 27" tires and a dirty but seemingly rust free frame. I've had the gary fisher since new and it's been a fine bike. I picked up the free spirit on the super cheap (>$20) with the intent on building a fixed gear. The thing I've realized though is that the MTB is much lighter than the FS and I'm starting to wonder if if I'd be better off just using that frame. It's a bit smaller than the FS as well.

my riding will consist of short trips to the store and around town, not planning any long journeys, just trying to use my car less. I've been riding the FS around for the past few weeks and despite it's obvious flaws it's been fine. Regardless of which bike I end up going with I know I'm gonna need new wheels and bits and pieces but wondered if anyone had done a ss/fixie conversion on a MTB. Is it more difficult or a bigger PITA than doing a conversion on an older road bike?

Anyway, any advice or comments would be appreciated. I'm a newbie to this but eager to learn.

Thanks

evan.