View Single Post
Old 10-10-10, 03:09 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Why ride Hills? ? ? ?

Not been doing much riding recently but rather than just go out to stretch the legs- Decided to do a couple of hills.

First one is called the "High and Over" and it goes over the South Downs and is high. Luckily- I had taken the TCR with the triple and Found I needed that 30/27. I am not fit but the hill is about 1 mile long- listed as 12% but at the start has a little nasty bit at about 20%. Got to the top slowly and rode over the top. Then a bit of downhill to cool the legs and up a deceptive hill. Start is hard and must be around 15% for 200 yards. Then it leans off to around 8% and has a section that is wrong. You know you are going uphill but stop pedalling and you don't lose much speed. Up to the top and down the .7 mile 16% that is great. Then a 3 mile long drag that is about 3 to 5% but with a couple of 10% sections in it. I look forward to the 10% bits as the 3 to 5 bit is so boring. I am working firmly but just changing down and down on the gears as energy disapears. Then down into Eastbourne for a coffee. (No Pie today as visitors coming and an early lunch)

Done enough hills so back home on the flat bits. 10 miles and only 300ft of climbing in it but they are in short sharp sections. On the way back I met one of my customers who was going the same way home so we rode and talked. He had gone out for a 60 mile ride across the marshes and that is flat. He always does this type of ride and from our home town- you can get in a 120 mile circular route that only has about 1,000ft of climbing. I have done this ride once and it is boring. I told him so but he replied that he can't see the sense in doing hills. My ride this morning was only 30 miles long and the 2,500 ft of climbing came in about 12 miles. He had done 60 and averaged 19mph for the 60. We agreed that we would not ride with each other much as we have a different type of riding that we each enjoy.

Now I am not fit right now- so why the H*ll did I go out and do a Hilly ride?-- and enjoy it.

And a reciprocal question- What interest is there in going for a Flat ride in which the only interest is in how fast you can do it?

I have my own reasons in that I am not a speed merchant and I have bikes set up for a few slopes

What are your thoughts?

Spike Milligan