Thread: Flooding
View Single Post
Old 10-10-10, 11:47 PM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I figure if the water went in that easily, the freshwater bath I gave it, whatever was in there was rinsed out. I spun the wheels and the even let them soak in the fresh water. Already dried out by spinning the wheels, even rode it, also sprayed WD-40 into the wheels and spun that around to coat the inside. The bottom bracket isn't a sealed system so that's been repacked. I don't hear any sloshing in the wheels or grinding for the wheel axles, steering tube or bottom bracket. So there's no beach sand in those parts. The brake calipers sprayed with WD-40 too and then wiped dry so that the pads grab. As the salt water puddle was as deep as it was, I really went thru very slowly, I was wearing shoes and the toes hardly got wet. I doubt the head tube got any water in it.

I'll take my chances at this point, wth, it's only a Vilano anyway. Oh, the chain and freewheel were lubricated as well. No grinding and as smooth as it ever was before the ride thru the water. Actually rides like a brand new bike again after a quick ride around the neighborhood. I bought it the first week of June 2010, so it's going on 4 1/2 months as the daily beater. I'm pleased with the clean & lube.

Last edited by fuji86; 10-11-10 at 12:21 AM.