View Single Post
Old 05-14-05, 12:11 AM
mooncricket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you get what you pay for

i went to REI to look for bearings for my crankbros eggbeaters: 10 min wait, got referred to 2 different employees, answer: no we don't carry them, but you can buy a new set (priced 20% more than other places)

next i went to a supergo store, the guy at the counter goes into a 3 minute spiel about how there are so many pedals and companies and bearings out there, it just doesn't make sense for them to carry bearings, and why don't i just buy a new set of candys from them (which i already have)

then i went to a performance store, the mechanic right away gave me directions to a lbs 4 miles away where i finally bought the bearings for $15

on line, i had no problem with either performance or supergo other than getting my stuff 2-3 days late

side note rant: i love my crankbros elegant design, but what sort of company knows that their bearings fail (they actually include instructions on bearings replacement with their new pedals), but they don't do anything about redesign or including replacement bearings or using better bearings/seals. after all, the bearings aren't cheap at 20% of the price of a new set of pedals. crappy thinking, i say.