View Single Post
Old 10-14-10, 09:50 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You are missing the point.

I am sure when properly set up the Jeep bikes will work fine. But for the same money you can get a rigid bike with better components. What do good components give you? In my opinion, almost any modern components will work fine when new. The difference comes after a month or two or a year when things start to wear out - this time will come much sooner with cheap components than it will with better ones.

Also, because of the limitations of economics and engineering, a full suspension bike is heavier, less efficient, and needs more maintenance. The result is that riding will be less fun and you will ride less.

And because the suspension is just springs instead of real shock absorbers, it will do almost nothing to smooth out the ride or make you feel less tired after a ride.

So your choice is this: Buy a heavy inefficient creaky bike that needs more maintenance and costs more but has no advantages, or get a simple higher quality bike that is more fun to ride.

There are two things you can pay for: 'features' and 'quality.' If you have $30,000 to buy a new car would you rather buy the base model of a nice BMW or new Camaro or F150, or would you rather have a shiny new Kia with a heads-up-display windshield, two CD players, and a carbon fiber wing on the back?

Suspension and disk brakes are 'features' that may or may not be worth paying for... but if you get suspension and disk brakes on a $300 bike you are not getting 'quality.'

Edit:

I should clarify: When I say 'components' I am not referring to derailleurs. Derailleurs are the cheapest and easiest parts on a bicycle to replace. People saying they replaced their Acera derailleurs with Deore and instantly had an improvement in performance are either ignorant, delusional, or lying to justify the money spent... or had the Acera stuff set up badly in the first place.
Derailleurs are where bike companies spend a little bit of cash to trick customers into thinking the bike is higher quality than it actually is, and many customers walk in to bike shops to go 'rear derailleur shopping' - they confidently push the bikes apart and strain to see what Shimano group the rear derailleurs are then feel as though they know all they need to know.

All other moving parts - chains, hubs, headsets, chainrings, suspension forks, pivots, even spokes and rims, are as important - or more important - but these are totally cheaped-out on department store bikes - even on the Forges... how do you think they sell them so cheap?
(Although the Forge bikes look miles better than the Jeep bikes... if I were you I would look at the Forge M Street bike - it looks like a simple, good value bike.)

The other thing to keep in mind is that the fit of a bike is more important than whether the derailleurs or hubs are SLX or Alivio. A 16 pound racing bike with electronic shifting is worthless if it gives you a sore back.

Last edited by LarDasse74; 10-14-10 at 10:13 PM.