Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
6 to Go Behind the Motor

One might think that getting ready for a major event might be glamorous or at least very pro like. Well, in some ways getting ready for Track Worlds in Portugal on October 26th is both but it is mostly a lot of hard work on the track and mostly behind the motor. Motor pacing is probably the best way to increase speed, power and endurance and train at race wattage. My wife and I have been training twice per week behind the motor as well as other road cycling since the beginning of September. We are very fortunate to have a very experienced former track racer who does the motor pacing. He is a gem and knows exactly how to take us to the limit.

Our trip is going to be for a couple of weeks including the racing and vacationing. I have been using a point and shoot camera but decided to go back to the SLR and purchased a digital SLR. When we first got married, we were avid photographers and have hundreds of slides. The new DSLR is totally amazing in its features and ease of use and I need more practice and experience.

Here is our motor pacing workout in pics.

One needs a bike to get the action started so here they are. Notice the roller on the pace motor bike. We can hit that roller at high speed with no problem.

The key to the workout is the guy on the moto. Our guy is superb. He knows us and how to maximize our effort. We tell him the target speed and he executes. Since we are focusing on the 2K pursuit, we do 6 laps around the 335 meter track.

We take turns behind the motor. Here is my wife waiting her turn.

This sequence of shots with her is at 35 mph 88 gear inches at 130 rpm. She is a monster on the bike. The face tells the level of effort, concentration and power.

The concentration required at 35 mph is significant and note how close she is to the roller.

She gets a good draft but it is still very tough.

Now it is my turn.

Next Tuesday is the last training day at the track and then we are off to Portugal via Lisbon on Friday.