View Single Post
Old 10-17-10, 03:07 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by d-klumpp
However, although the stock Tektro brakes seemed perfect on the fairly flat course (Psychocross in Chicago suburban Wauconda), I find the braking inadequate for urban commuting. The stock cantis aren't nearly quick enough to help avoid getting doored in heavy traffic. Instead, I intend to get a TRP CX 9 for the front -- maybe even another for the rear.
Dave
can relate, I got a Tricross this summer and also found the stock Tektros underwhelming--they did improve when the pads got worked in a bit, but as someone who had cantis on my old touring bike, I really did think that in 20 yrs cantis would have improved more.

Although I havent done it yet, many people recommend Kool-Stop pads to improve braking. I ride in the city a lot and at some point will try some to see if they increase braking power. At this point, the stock pads are alright, but using the small bar mounted extra set of levers there is a marked decrease in braking compared to the reg. levers. I am hoping the Kool-Stops can help overall, both for the extra levers, as well as braking with my hands on the hoods.

nice to see someone else who finds a cross bike a nice mix of a road bike and all the other stuff a sturdier bike allows you to do + eyelets and fit bigger tires etc. I dont have a road bike, but do see that for many people, a cross bike would be a great choice as I agree that they are a lot of fun.

(I unfortunately didnt see any Cannondale cross bikes this summer when looking at options, c'est la vie as they say)