View Single Post
Old 10-18-10, 03:00 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_man_14
This is probably a noob question butwhen I get into a nice paceline I find it hard to keep up. I can do 24mph just fine but when we bump it up 2 mph to 26 I physically cant hold it. I have the endurance from cross country running and I have sprints and hills. I just need to bump up my speed on flats. Are intervals the way to go? If so, how long and how many? 2 min max heart rate 5 min recovery and do that for 30 min? 20 min a little below the max and then recovery then again? Im so lost.
What gives up when you can no longer hold 26mph? Does your HR go through the roof and hit max? Or does your legs burn, tighten up and cramp?

Either way, intervals are your friends. Short anaerobic intervals to max-HR and longer aerobic 2x20 tempos will get you there. Do one day of 2x20 tempos and two days of anaerobic intervals a week and you'll bump up that average-speed and will be able to hang with the pack. Be careful of overtraining. If you're already doing the maximum time & mileage that you can, then you'll want to cut back on other things.