View Single Post
Old 10-19-10, 10:53 PM
Corben

Bikes: 2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Getting back on the old saddle.

8 months without a smoke so I boogied to a few bicycle shops here in the Sac area to see which bike to buy as a reward. I was shopping for a entry level MTN bike to ride the trails along the American river and take photographs. Currently I have a old 85 Nishiki Sport and a 97 Specialized Crossroad, the last new bike I bought. 13 years ago.
Bob's Cycle Center located in Fair Oaks provided great customer service, While at Performance the salesmen left me standing there while they just chit chatted at the check stand.
City Bicycle Works were better but watched me like a hawk while I test rode a few bikes...
Then I went to the closest shop by my home called Elite Bicycles......in Citrus Heights. lot of cool looking bikes...low riders.....fixies.....BMX......AND USED !! And damn good prices!! But I'm a traditioanlist and over 50 now.
Screw it all!!!
I went home and grabbed my old Crossroads and headed back to Elite. And instead of buying a new bike for 300-600 bucks I just picked up a new chain and a sealed bottom bracket along with the 49.99 tune up special. The "Wrench" pointed out on my old hybrid two loose gears on the cassette which is why the chin slipped when I mashed down on the pedals. (I worked on those myself a few years ago. I wonder.....) Heck! That was one of the main reasons I stopped riding that bike. That and it feels like I'm riding up hill even on flats. I'm hopping the new bottom bracket will cure that. Those old ball barrings have to be worn by now. I rode that old crossroads on many a dirt trail over the years and figure with a few budget parts it will be as good as new. I still can work on my own bikes! I just don't know where I put all my bike tools!