Old 10-21-10, 03:12 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Should I just upgrade this bike for now and then go straight into an expensive bike?

I had planned on picking up a new "entry level" bike for ~$600 before next spring. I figure I might outgrow that fairly quickly, though, and I'd have to buy another more expensive bike the year after that.

Then I got to thinking. Would my 94' Giant Yukon with a decent(granted I assume it would have to be old since everything is threadless now) suspension fork be almost as good as an entry level bike that I could buy? I was thinking I could probably find an older (to fit the threaded set-up) fork and rebuild it for a lot cheaper than getting a new bike. If the Yukon would serve as a decent trail beater to get me some more experience then I think that's the route I want to go and save my money to get a higher end bike sooner than I otherwise would be able to.

If that sounds reasonable to you guys, what are some models of forks I should look for?

I can't afford to just go straight into a $1000 bike this year. It's going to take some saving first.