Aquakitty
Canadian Chick

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Mysterious hub issue

The hub is Shimano m525 Deore rear freehub.

I was going down a big hill the other day when suddenly my rear disc brakes locked up and I laid a big line down the road, fortunately I was not going very fast. On inspection it looked like the wheel twisted. This was bizarre to me since I am always very careful to super tighten my quick release.

So when I got it home I removed the wheel and the hub seemed completely seized. On the drive side I noticed the hub lockring was loose and hand turnable.

Upon removing the axle everything was fine. Bearings well grease and clean, axle straight..so as far as I can tell the hub seized only because the cone nuts tightened themselves! Since purchasing the bike/wheels I have never messed with the hub aside from testing it for sloppiness.. is it even possible for the cone nuts to work their way in so far the wheel locks and twists?

This could explain why my last bike ride was so darn tough, I felt like my bike was dragging... at the time I just assumed it was my lazy ass, but it probably was the bike!

Any idea what could cause this or how to prevent it? First time I ever ran into something like this. FTR I have been loading the rear with weights to test the bike for a touring load, but the time this happened the bike was unloaded.

Last edited by Aquakitty; 10-23-10 at 01:55 PM.