Old 10-24-10, 04:43 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by retnav94
OK now that I have put you to sleep, I am contemplating a road bike or a cross. I want to do the longer rides more frequently. My question is mainly weight loss. I suspect I am just on a plateau, but I would like it to pick up. Those of you that have done long rides and short higher intensity rides , have you seen a difference in weight loss?
The more intense the effort, the greater the calories burned. BUT at maximum effort virtually all those calories are coming from glycogen stores, whereas going more steadily burns fat. In theory this should make no difference - calories are calories. In practice, however, your body will require you to replenish the glycogen stores. In my experience this means that I am more likely to be prey to uncontrolled eating after a maximum intensity ride than after a LSD (long, steady, distance) ride, despite the fact that I might have burned more calories during the latter.

If I were you I'd do both. That is, try to throw in at least one ride each week when you're out for a decent time - certainly more than 2 hours - but going at a pace you can comfortably maintain. Your 60 miles in 4:15 sounds ideal. Then do the shorter, faster stuff on the other days. Whatever strategy you're adopting, eating something - mainly protein but with a few carbs thrown in - immediately after your ride will both help you manage your appetite later on, and increase the speed with which you recover - so you'll be ready for the next day.

If you're going to do the longer stuff, get the road bike. More fun means you'll spend more time on the bike.