Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal
the cage is way clunkier on a triple fd than on a double. it's hard to see on the picture above, b/c your big ring is obscuring the FD. Go to http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...road/sora.html and look. the double FD is on the left, in the middle. The triple is toward the right, higher up. The cage is much bigger, top to bottom.

Most satellites i've seen had triples from the factory, of course with the appropriate FD. But, i think i recall seeing a compact double version a few years back. Either way, if you're using a double, either FD will work. The double FD, however, will not work properly with a triple.

Oh, and if you really don't care about matchiness and just want a double, pull of the right crankarm and remove the granny. Replace it, dial the limit screw to keep the chain from dropping inboard, and voila-- double crank for free.

-rob
I took a look at it, and I think it is the compact double FD you mentioned. the inner part has a straighter line down the front than the 2010 double pictured on the site, but it's nothing like the triple at all.

It's the older Satellite, so that makes sense.